Ahiphenasava (also spelt as Ahiphenasavam) is an Ayurvedic medicine available in liquid form. It is used in severe diarrhoea, dysentery, gastroenteritis and other life-threatening conditions. This medicine contains purified and processed poisonous ingredients. It is highly recommended to take Ayurvedic physician's advice before it's consumption.
Read Asava Arishta & Characteristics and Method of Preparation
Ingredients of Ahiphenasava
- Madhuka madya (Madhuka) 4.800 L
- Phaniphena (Ahiphena) 192 g
- Mustaka (Musta) 48 g
- Jatiphala 48 g
- Indra Yava (Kutaja) 48 g
- Ela (Sukshmaila) 48 g
(Reference: Bhaishajyaratnavali, Atisaradhikara: 100-101)
The quantity of each ingredient shown here is as per the text. It may be changed accordingly as per your requirement.
Dosage of Ahiphenasava
5 to 10 drops alone or mixed with equal quantity of water twice a day after meal.
- Ugra Atisara (Severe Diarrhoea)
- Daruna Visuchika (Severe gastroenteritis)
- Pravahika (Dysentery)
- In severe Diarrhoea, Ahiphenasava is taken in recommended dose two to four times a day. Also, Kutaj Ghan Vati (250-500mg), Shankha Vati (250mg), Bilwadi Churna (5gm) and Gangadhar Churna (2.5gm) is prescribed according to the condition.
- In severe gastroenteritis, Ahiphenasava is taken along with Sanjivani Vati (250mg), Kutaj Ghan Vati (250mg) and Leelavilas Ras (250mg) or Kamdudha Rasa (125-250mg) twice a day.
- In dysentery, it is used with Kutaj Ghan Vati (250-500mg) and Bilwadi Churna (5gm) twice a day.
Side Effects, Pregnancy Safety & Precaution
- Ahiphenasava contains Ahiphena (opium) and Dhatura (thorn apple), which are poisonous. Though they are purified and processed for medicinal use, but it should not be taken without Ayurvedic physician's advice.
- No side effects reported. May cause sedative effect if taken in high dose.
- It should be taken with precaution in persons with hyperacidity.
- Not recommended in ulcers and diabetes.
- Not safe during pregnancy.
Recommendation: Dysent Capsules- Best Ayurvedic Medicine for Diarrhoea, Dysentery and IBS