Introduction of Methika Trigonella foenum –
Methika Trigonella foenum is an annual herb bearing yellow flowers. It is cultivated in several parts of India as commercial crop. Botanical name of Methika is Trigonella foenum graecum. Methika Trigonella foenum belongs to Fabaceae family. Methika Trigonella foenum is called Methi which is commonly used in gastric trouble, diabetes and joints pain. In India, Methika Trigonella foenum is used in kitchen as an important spice.
Varieties of Methika Trigonella foenum –
There are two varieties of Methika Trigonella foenum –
- Laghu methika – It is used as vegetable (Patra shaka).
- Brihat methika – It is used as cattle food (Pashu khadya)
Synonyms of Methika Trigonella foenum –
- Methika, Methi, Pitabija – Seeds are yellow in color.
- Methini, Dipani – The plant which acts as appetizer.
- Bahupatrika – The plant which has abundant leaves.
- Jyoti, Gandhaphala – The fruit which gives odor.
Classical Categorization Methika Trigonella foenum –
In Ayurvedic classics, Methika Trigonella foenum is categorized as follows –
- Haritakyadi Varga
- Aushadhi Varga
- Pippalyadi Varga
Vernacular Names (Names if different languages) Methika Trigonella foenum –
In different area and locality, the name differs. Methika Trigonella foenum is also called by following names –
- English – Fenugreek, Greek hayes
- Hindi – Methi
- Kannada – Mentya, Mentesoppu Mente
- Malayalam – Ventiyam, Vendiyam
- Sanskrit – Methika, Methi, Kalanusari
- Tamil – Ventayam
- Telugu – Mentulu, Mentikura
- Urdu – Methi
- Spanish – Alolva
- Arabic – Hulbah
- Bengal – Haenugraeb, Methi
- Punjabi – Methi, Methri.
Systemic Classification of Methika Trigonella foenum –
- Kingdom – Plantae
- Division – Magnoliophyta
- Class – Magnoliopsida
- Order – Fabales
- Family – Fabaceae
- Genus – Trigonella
- Species – Foenum Graecum
Useful Parts of Methika Trigonella foenum –
Chemical Constituents of Methika Trigonella foenum –
The seeds of Methika Trigonella foenum contain moisture 13.7, protein 26.2% fat 5.8%, fibres 7.2% carbohydrate 44.1% and ash 3.0%. Seeds of Methika Trigonella foenum also contains mineral which include calcium, phosphorous, iron, sodium and potassium.
Ayurvedic Properties Methika Trigonella foenum –
- Rasa – Katu
- Guna – Laghu, Snigdha
- Virya – Ushna
- Vipaka – Katu
- Dosha karma – Vata shamaka, Vata kapha nashaka
Karma (Actions) Methika Trigonella foenum –
- Vedana hara
- Sotha nashana
- Nadi balya
- Rakta – pitta kopaka
- Angamarda prashamana
- Dipana, pachana, anulomana
- Shoola prashamana
- Stanya janana
- Garbhashaya shodhana
Indications of Methika Trigonella foenum –
- Vatajanita vikara – Vata vyadhi (neuro muscular disorders)
- Shoola (abdominal pain)
- Sotha (inflammatory conditions)
- Angamarda (bodyache)
- Agnimandhya (loss of appetite)
- Udara shoola (Abdominal pain)
- Adhmana (bloating and gastritis)
- Stanya kshaya (diminished lactation)
- Garbhashaya suddhikara (useful in uterine and menstrual problems)
- Prasavottara vyapat or sutika roga (puerperal diseases)
- Dourbalya (weakness or debility)
Therapeutic Uses of Methika Trigonella foenum –
- In constipation (Vibandha) – The leaves used as a vegetable (curry) is helpful in bowel clearance.
- For Inflammation (Shvayathu vilayana) – Methika patra (fenugreek leaves) are pounded and applied over affected parts to relieve swelling and inflammatory conditions.
- For Diarrhoea and small pox – Roasted seeds of Methika Trigonella foenum in the form of infusion are indicated.
- As galactogogue – Porridge of Methika Trigonella foenum is used to increase lactation in feeding mother.
- In Diarrhoea – Roasted seeds along with dry grapes and common salt are given.
- In hair fall and dandruff – Seeds powder or leaf pulp is used locally.
Dosage of Methika Trigonella foenum –
- Seed Powder: 1 – 3 gm
Pharmaceutical Preparations of Methika Trigonella foenum –
- Methi modaka
- Pancha jiraka paka
Photographs of Methika Trigonella foenum –
Click on image to zoom
(Image source – theferns.info)